Be the change you want to see in the world...

Synopsis of Us

Lisa is au natural. She likes to have babies at home and drink slimy green liquids with large amounts of earth in them. She loves the quacks and we love her. If you are ailing, just call Lisa. She will doctor you up!

Melanie is a little bundle of energy. She's very peppy and always bouncing around. Do not drive with her. She tends to talk and visit and not watch the road. Cuts a mean hair-do!

Sarah is crazy! She loves Diet Pepsi (too much). The group photographer with many free photo shoots for her friends. Many questionable eating habits that we all ignore, hopefully they don't kill her.

Emily is an overachiever. She never sleeps and wakes up way too early so she can pratice music with her kids. She loves the earthy green drink too. Be careful, she will try to poison you with sugar-free goodies.

Jen is a dental hygienist. If you want to know which kind of gum to chew (to xylitol or not to xylitol, this is the question) she'll know.

Lana is full of crap! Literally, her house is full of crap! Yes, just stuff. If you ever need any random thing, pretty sure it's in her house... somewhere. Very competitive, don't coach children's athletics with her.

Adria is straightforward. She pretty much says it like it is. She is our community sex-ed advisor. Any questions, just ask her, she knows it all.

Marianne (one of the tall, leggy blonds) is amazing! She graduated from college while taking care of her four children and working to save the entire Chinese orphan population.

Marilyn is a perfectionist. She has to have everything at a ninety degree angle, if not, she's nervous. Hopefully this doesn't kill her. Likes to scrapbook, spends a large sum of money on this activity.

Stephanie (another tall, leggy blond) really likes to work out. Too much of a good thing is not a good thing. Nursing is her profession (not wet nursing).

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Writer in our midst

Lana's good friend wrote this. I thought it was so beautifully written, it needed to be shared with everyone... Thanks Kresta

Have you ever learned something and immediately wished that you could turn back the clock just two minutes? Back to when you didn't know? Back to when life was uncomplicated and mostly good? It is true that ignorance is bliss. And yet, too often, the secret is out before we realize that our lives are going to be irreversibly changed forever. My dear friend learned just such a truth this week. She was going along with her merry little life; chasing kids, selling a house, building a new house, spreading joy and sunshine like she always does. I think she was probably like me; fretting over little things like what gifts to give for Christmas and how to find time to clean her house before the holidays and what she was going to make for dinner. Suddenly the "secret" surfaced and now she is worrying instead about her darling little girl and chest ports and IVs and spinal taps and chemotherapy and hospital recliners that never let you sleep. Instead of baking for Thanksgiving, she is struggling to put on a happy face for her little daughter as she brushes her long gorgeous hair and tries to find a way to tell her that all this beautiful hair will soon be found in big clumps on her pillow each morning until there is no more. Now she is curled up and crying in a hospital room by herself in the dark, wee hours of the morning only when she is sure her daughter will not see her fear. She is far from friends and family, worrying about her other children farmed out among relatives, worrying about what the next months and years will hold. And I wish that there was some way to take it all back, because, trust me, the road back to before seems so very much shorter than the long, long road through. And my heart breaks for her.Then I think about the "secret" that I just discovered and wish that I, too, could go back. Back to yesterday when life was great as I knew it. And yet, the secret was still there. Not a menace that could hurt me physically, but an ugly monster just the same. I was blissfully oblivious but that doesn't mean that the damage wasn't done. It just means that the stench was not yet apparent, like the dead mouse under my freezer in the basement. Just because I couldn't smell it, doesn't mean it wasn't there, preparing to knock me down with its odor the next time I opened the door. And I have to wonder which I hate more, secrets or surprises. Then I realize that there is no reverse button on this roller coaster called life and that the only way past is right through the murky middle. So, my friend, I will gather my courage and brace myself for the journey, praying for angels for me and for you. Angels to carry us through.

Posted by Kresta

5 comments:

The Masoners said...

This is one of life's sad, harsh truths. It's easy to look back after a difficulty and see how we've grown, how the trial has "refined us". Not so easy to see the beauty of the forest when we're lost in the dark, dense trees. The wonderful truth of the Gospel is that somewhere, in the depths of our soul, we know that the light is there. We know we will be able to find our way. We know we are blessed with angels all around us (here on Earth and from beyond the Veil) to buoy us up and guide us through the dark...

Marilyn said...

How absolutely beautiful, Kresta. Words have never come easy for me so I make things instead of say things. Oh how I wish I could express in words the feelings I too have for you Lana. I understand fear, anger, denial and all those other feelings you must be going through. Just take it one moment at a time...even a day at a time is too long. Every good moment, stash it away for future rememberance. Cry until you can't cry anymore and then let the Lord cry for you and carry you. We pray for you and your family constantly and you are always in our thoughts. Be strong and know that you are all SOOOO loved!!!

Extraordinary Housewife said...

Captured with perfect precision.

-Lana

Ashley Wray said...

Beautifully written and so so true. It's so easy to look back on how "easy" life was before a hardship like this, but Heavenly Father loves us and is constantly watching over to help us along. Lana, your faith and strength amazes me. I am axiously awaiting good news for your family and we all continue to pray on for you and sweet Emma. Love you!

Emily said...

Wow...that was good. What a vivid picture of what I am sure Lana was and is going through. Don't be fooled by her tough exterior...always the strong one, always smiling. Beneath the smile there lies much more. Remember when I told you, Lana, that my life was EASY compared to yours? Well...I was right! So, sit back, relax, and let us all take care of you! (OK, the relax bit was a stretch...OK, more than a stretch!)