Be the change you want to see in the world...

Synopsis of Us

Lisa is au natural. She likes to have babies at home and drink slimy green liquids with large amounts of earth in them. She loves the quacks and we love her. If you are ailing, just call Lisa. She will doctor you up!

Melanie is a little bundle of energy. She's very peppy and always bouncing around. Do not drive with her. She tends to talk and visit and not watch the road. Cuts a mean hair-do!

Sarah is crazy! She loves Diet Pepsi (too much). The group photographer with many free photo shoots for her friends. Many questionable eating habits that we all ignore, hopefully they don't kill her.

Emily is an overachiever. She never sleeps and wakes up way too early so she can pratice music with her kids. She loves the earthy green drink too. Be careful, she will try to poison you with sugar-free goodies.

Jen is a dental hygienist. If you want to know which kind of gum to chew (to xylitol or not to xylitol, this is the question) she'll know.

Lana is full of crap! Literally, her house is full of crap! Yes, just stuff. If you ever need any random thing, pretty sure it's in her house... somewhere. Very competitive, don't coach children's athletics with her.

Adria is straightforward. She pretty much says it like it is. She is our community sex-ed advisor. Any questions, just ask her, she knows it all.

Marianne (one of the tall, leggy blonds) is amazing! She graduated from college while taking care of her four children and working to save the entire Chinese orphan population.

Marilyn is a perfectionist. She has to have everything at a ninety degree angle, if not, she's nervous. Hopefully this doesn't kill her. Likes to scrapbook, spends a large sum of money on this activity.

Stephanie (another tall, leggy blond) really likes to work out. Too much of a good thing is not a good thing. Nursing is her profession (not wet nursing).

Monday, December 15, 2008

Breaking News (as in breaking my heart)

Today... Monday... always the day, the big dance, the show.

Emma and I showed up at Primary Children's this morning for her treatments. I was so excited because we were only there for Chemo, basically in and out in an hour. I could handle that, Emma could eat (no fasting for tests) and we were happy.

Dr. Phil (seriously, but not the real Dr. Phil) came in and checked on Emma. She said she was happy, but gassy (quite hilarious description) and hungry.

The doctor then turned to me and said, "Well, we probably need to talk." The blood instantly rushed to my face as this statement brought back terrible memories of two specific occasions. I mean when has, "Well, we probably need to talk," ever meant anything good?

The first of these occasions was when I was a sophomore in high school. I was dating a severly attractive boy (he could bench 175, that was a lot). His name was Brad (the coolest name eva') and we were H-O-T! Anyway, one evening he takes me on a drive and completely unbeknownst (yes, that is a word) to me, he was breaking up with me. I mean usually I could tell if we were drifting apart as a couple, or I was the one doing the dumping, but no! He said, "I think we need to talk," and WHAM (not the singing group) it was over. Heartbroken.

The second occasion was just a couple of weeks ago. Dr. Graham called to let me know the results of Emma's blood draw. She had been sick. I was expecting something... but not that! Dr Graham said, "We need to talk, (this sentence is becoming a theme here... see?) You need to sit down." To which I responded, "I'm hanging up now." At which time WHAM (again, not the singing group, however I would like a reunion)... Leukemia.

As you can see this "talking" is not a good thing for me.

Anyway, Dr. Phil said that Emma has philadelphia chromosome translocation . Long story short (click on the link if you want some biology) two chromosomes (#9 and #22) have cross breeded, which is against the rules! This makes it harder to treat leukemia. These two cells had an affair (shame, shame) and as a result have caused lots of mutant DNA throughout her cells. In the end, Emma will need a bone marrow transplant. In the beginning (I act like it was so long ago) this is what we were so thankful she didn't need.

Her siblings (all five of them, thank goodness for proliferation) have now been tested to see if they are a match (we will know the results in two weeks). They each have a 25% chance that they will match. No this does not mean that we have a 125% chance of matching. Come on, where were you during statistics? But, with so many siblings, the chances are obviously higher that a match will be found.

This is what we are praying for... that a match will be found within her siblings. Please, please, I am pleading with you (I have lost all pride) to join me in prayer as we ask our Heavenly Father to help us through this time.

Of course it is late at night. I can't sleep and everything seems darker than it really is. The light will come tomorrow. The christmas trees and the season give me hope. I will head over to Emily's house tomorrow because her house sparkles and it makes me happy. You all make me happy and you all give me hope.

Tears... amen.

-Lana

13 comments:

Adele said...

Emma is such a trooper- this must be so hard, but i know that our heavenly father is absolutely watching over you and emma and he knows what you need most- you are always in my prayers...

Ashley Wray said...

I'm glad to see you van in your driveway, I like you guys across the street rather then SLC! We are praying for you all constantly and we will continue to do so. I hope they find a match and I know Heavenly Father will have his hand in this all.
Thanks for your sense of humor in all of this, you amaze me Lana. Give Emma (and yourself) a big hug for me!

Marilyn said...

Oh Lana, I am so sorry to hear the news! We are praying for you always and know you are in good hands. I have a present for Emma at Jeff's office but because of the quarantine, I am just having him keep it there until you can go get it. It's not much but it might give her a smile and something to do for a while. I wish there were something more I could do, even bring a meal or snuggle your sweet Carly when you can't be there but alas....Idaho Falls isn't just around the corner. We love you all, hang in there!

Abby said...

Lana, Emma and gang: we are praying for you guys many times every single day. I know that even if you feel like your strength or faith is low, you can count on all of us who love you to make up for your lack. Heavenly Father has tender mercies in store for you yet.

Kresta said...

You and Emma and your family are in every prayer at our house. My kids are always asking me to check here to "check on Emma". So thanks for the updates. "Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match." Heavenly Father will take care of you. I know He will. We love you.

Emily said...

Oh my friend. I can't stand it! It breaks my heart to know you are sitting alone, suffering. I wish I could be there with you in those dark moments. You know I am only a phone call away, and I am used to no sleep! Hey...if it's 5 in the morning, I may just run to your house! You are strong. You are amazing. You WILL make it through! And, you can come enjoy my sparkles ANY time! In fact, I will even give you all my sparklies to sparkle up your house. And you know how I love my sparkles. I wouldn't part with them for just anyone!

Melanie Page said...

The tears are running down my face and won't stop. It doesn't help that I'm pregnant either. I wish I could give you and Emma a big hug.Billy and I are going to the temple tonight and will pray hard that you and your family will be comforted in this hard time in life and that there will be peace in your soul. Heavenly father loves you and won't leave you alone to do this by yourself. You are a very stong soul Lana, and God knows you best. Your in our thoughts and prayers everyday. Let me know if you need anything. Love Mel.

Mark&Noelle Taylor said...

Dear Lanna I don't now you and you don't now me but We both now Ashley Wray I think You are one of the bravest people. anyone who has to go through things like this has to be brave it's one thing to think you yourself are brave and put yourself through some thing and it's one thing for someone else to think you are brave and put you through something but its another thing when the LOrd knows you are brave and put you through something. I am so sorry you and your family have to go through this. Emma is also an extermly brave child She has the same name as my daughter and I think it is lovely. We will remember you in our prayers and hope your Holidays cheer you up.

crazyshelbs said...

Lana i'm so sorry for your bad news. This is one of those times i wish i were really one of your kids because i want and would want to do anything to help your little Emma. i miss seeing Emma's smiling face and hearing all her cute stories(Hee Hee good times). I love you guys so much. Your always in my prayers. Hope things get just a little better soon.
-Shelby Ann

Jessica said...

I am so sorry to hear this news. Emma is in every prayer in our house all day, and if we chance to forget, Halle reminds us and she starts her own prayer for her. I pray they will find a match, and for you to be strengthen right now. You amaze me with your positive attitude, your humor, and your faith.

Angie said...

They'll find a match and all will go well. Heavenly Father is mindful of your little family as we all are. Emma is constanly in our prayers. We look forward to having you on Sunday. Let me know if there is anything you need,
Angie

Surgery Stinks said...

I love you mom ! That is a long and great story about me.




love your daughter,

Emma

p.s. little hug big kiss big hug little kiss.

karlin said...

Lana... I tracked your blog down. How are things going this week?I've been wanting to call you... did your kids get sick this week? Baylee and Griffin both stayed home sick from school on Tuesday. I've been so worried. My fingers are crossed and prayers are with you that you will find a match. xoxo