Be the change you want to see in the world...

Synopsis of Us

Lisa is au natural. She likes to have babies at home and drink slimy green liquids with large amounts of earth in them. She loves the quacks and we love her. If you are ailing, just call Lisa. She will doctor you up!

Melanie is a little bundle of energy. She's very peppy and always bouncing around. Do not drive with her. She tends to talk and visit and not watch the road. Cuts a mean hair-do!

Sarah is crazy! She loves Diet Pepsi (too much). The group photographer with many free photo shoots for her friends. Many questionable eating habits that we all ignore, hopefully they don't kill her.

Emily is an overachiever. She never sleeps and wakes up way too early so she can pratice music with her kids. She loves the earthy green drink too. Be careful, she will try to poison you with sugar-free goodies.

Jen is a dental hygienist. If you want to know which kind of gum to chew (to xylitol or not to xylitol, this is the question) she'll know.

Lana is full of crap! Literally, her house is full of crap! Yes, just stuff. If you ever need any random thing, pretty sure it's in her house... somewhere. Very competitive, don't coach children's athletics with her.

Adria is straightforward. She pretty much says it like it is. She is our community sex-ed advisor. Any questions, just ask her, she knows it all.

Marianne (one of the tall, leggy blonds) is amazing! She graduated from college while taking care of her four children and working to save the entire Chinese orphan population.

Marilyn is a perfectionist. She has to have everything at a ninety degree angle, if not, she's nervous. Hopefully this doesn't kill her. Likes to scrapbook, spends a large sum of money on this activity.

Stephanie (another tall, leggy blond) really likes to work out. Too much of a good thing is not a good thing. Nursing is her profession (not wet nursing).

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Happy BMT Birthday to You

Well the last week ended up being a super success.


Emma had radiation. The rad people would set her lung shields just right so her lungs wouldn't get damaged and then we would all leave the room. It was a huge room, chilly and loud, and I hated leaving her in there alone. I went out and sat with the radiology peeps and watched her on a tv screen. She had to get zapped on the front for 15 minutes and then turn around to the back for 15 more. I was so glad to get this over with. It always looked to me like she was getting tortured, however no pain involved.


Friday morning Ty had to be at the hospital at o' dark o'clock. I was sick to my stomach but tried to pretend that we were going on some fantastic fun adventure. He was in surgery for an hour and a half, and I used my usual coping skills by sleeping that time away (What? You didn't know I had these skills?). The doctors said the surgery went well. He woke up in postop mumbling something about how someone had taken off his jammies.

After two sleepy hours and two grape popsicles he was feeling a bit better, just groggy. He slept all the way home.

His back hurt the rest of the day and on Saturday he woke up and announced that he couldn't walk. He kept saying, "I can't walk" over and over again. He wasn't panicked, just wondered why I wasn't doing anything about it. By the end of the day he was walking with only a little limp.


We waited the rest of the day Friday for Ty's bone marrow to be counted, cleaned, filtered, checked, etc., etc., and around 6:00 the man from the clinic arrived. It was very exciting to see him. He had a cooler labeled as a donor cooler and looked very official. After the doctors got there, many nurses and hospital staff came in the room and sang "Happy BMT Birthday To You" to Emma. The "donor cooler guy" had all sorts of official paperwork and numbers that he and the doctors went over to verify that the right "stuff" was going to the right person.
Then they hung it! Instantly the marrow (through gravity) started pumping down the tube and into Emma. It was a very surreal moment for me as I thought of how Ty was helping to heal Emma.


Emma was happy and smiling. Everyone at the hospital loves her and thinks she's so pretty and super fun. (Hello, have you seen her motha'?)



Emma's special Bone Marrow Transplant Birthday was a miracle. Many miracles happen everyday in my life. Some are open and some are private, but it impresses me that many of you are serving the Lord. What a testimony builder it has been for me to see this in action. I have no doubt that you would be shocked if I listed the many services that my family has received. The amounts of money, the amounts of time, the vast amounts of food (Mormons know food) the amounts of prayers, fasting and love that have been sent my way is phenomenal.
May you all be blessed for your sincere service and your truly pure hearts. I pray.
Lana

15 comments:

Sarah Stokes said...

Lana, Thank you for sharing all these wonderful positive moments you find in this tremendous mountain you are under, everyone should have a great week if they start of Monday morning having read this :)
I am so happy everything went so good for you, Ty, and Emma. Emma looks amazing, I can't even believe she is smiling from ear to ear what a strong girl you have, you should be so proud!

Holly said...

Yay!!! What a miracle! Seeing Emma's smile just warms my heart! Where's yours? *wink wink nudge nudge*

Ashley Wray said...

I love that super smiley picture of Emma. Seriously, she is so tough! Miracles and more miracles will keep coming to you and your amazing family. Ty is such a trooper, what a great bond they will have because of all this.
I'm not going to lie, that radiation stuff is a little intense, so I'm sure you're relieved that is all over. Good to chat with you for a bit on Saturday. Keep us updated and keep us in the loop for what we can do!

karlin said...

I bet it feels good to be to this point! I'm so glad to hear that it went well and pray that you will continue to witness many miracles! Love all the pics... Ty and Emma are so brave. I hope you don't mind but I linked you on my blog because you are so inspiring!

marianne said...

Lana,
Hey neighbor, it was so great to see you smiling yesterday. We love you and are so proud of Emma and Ty and of course their parents! Amazing people you are- no doubt!
Love ya,
Marianne

steph said...

I just had to explain to my kids that my tears were tears of joy. They couldn't understand why I was crying just looking at the computer. I am so happy this day has happened! Ty you are a little hero and Emma you are such a trooper! We love you guys! Keep smiling.

Renee said...

Lana, I'm Stephanie's mother serving a mission in Guadalajara Mexico. I have kept up with your post (I have a dear friend whose husband is suffering so badly from cancer and all that it entails) and you truly are an inspiration to all of us. I am like Stephanie--tears of joy and gratitude are running down my face as I read the latest miracle about your little Emma and Ty. I put your names in the Temple. The elders here keep up with your story as I share it with them. Truly, "We Are The Champions," is such a fitting theme song for you and all of the Extraordinary Housewifes. May the Lord continue to bless you as you meet your challenges and trials. We will keep you in our prayer and in our hearts.

Renee said...

PlS. I hate when I spell words wrong like "housewives." I think Spanish is getting to me.

Marilyn said...

As if your story hasn't been inspiring enough!!! I love all the photos and I feel so bad that I haven't been able to be there in Burley to help out! We think of you and pray for your family everyday. It looks as if all those many prayers are paying off. Hopefully the worst is behind you and you can all concentrate on getting well and being a family again in your beautiful new house! Hugs and Kisses to Emma and Ty, you guys are AWESOME!!!!!

Marilyn said...

P.S. Emma must have been a beautiful bald baby cuz she is still so beautiful!

The Brack's said...

Lana, this post has touched me the most by far. Thank you for your courage strength and positive attitude you always have. I can't imagine how painful and hard this process has been and could still be for you. Your testimony has strengthened me and you and your family have made me a better person. I know you know this, but I want to say it to you, thank you for experiencing this and going through this trial so that people like me can grow and become a better person. You, Emma, Jeff and the rest of your family have not gone through this in vain. You have touched countless lives, especially mine. Thank you for that. You have always been an example to me, but more so now than ever. Your sacrifices (meaning your WHOLE family and friends) have been to benefit me as well as countless others...thank you, thank you thank you! I love you so much! And once again if you need ANYTHING, let me know!!!!

Jared Stubbs said...

You guys are in our prayers constantly. I'm so happy the transplant went so well.

Melanie Page said...

Lana it was so amazing to see you up so early Saturday morning to watch your two boys play basketball after such a long week that you had to endure.But thats you, a mother who never stops being there for her children.You are so amazing.I especially was excited to see your smile again.I'm so glad the surgery was such a success but I knew in my heart it would be.Emma is so amazing and little Ty,what a trooper.You have a wonderful family.We love you and are in our prayers every day.

Nichole said...

Lana, Thank you Thank you, we did not mean to be there in the thick of the transplant but it was so special to me to witness what a wonderful miracle Emma and your family have received. As I stood there in the room I looked around to see if anyone else had tears in their eyes as I did. Then I swallowed and tried to be tough. I'm just not sure I would even want to think about trying to overcome this sort of a challenge. You are an inspiration to me and a strength, both you and Jeff. It was an extreme once in a life time experience for Makoy and Lincoln to be there for the BMT Birthday. They talked about it for days afterward and told everyone they knew, how they witnessed a BMT for their friend Emma. Thank you again for being so kind and lettings us barge in on you like that. It wasn't the plan. Love you, Nichole

Dana said...

I am Jeff's second cousin (and next door neighbor to Jeni & Kenny in Meridian). I guess that would make your kids and mine 3rd cousins. :)

Anyway, I think this is an amzing post and what a miracle. It is unfortunate anyone would have to go through such a trial but I admire that you are doing it with such grace and gratitude. We are all truly so blessed!