Be the change you want to see in the world...

Synopsis of Us

Lisa is au natural. She likes to have babies at home and drink slimy green liquids with large amounts of earth in them. She loves the quacks and we love her. If you are ailing, just call Lisa. She will doctor you up!

Melanie is a little bundle of energy. She's very peppy and always bouncing around. Do not drive with her. She tends to talk and visit and not watch the road. Cuts a mean hair-do!

Sarah is crazy! She loves Diet Pepsi (too much). The group photographer with many free photo shoots for her friends. Many questionable eating habits that we all ignore, hopefully they don't kill her.

Emily is an overachiever. She never sleeps and wakes up way too early so she can pratice music with her kids. She loves the earthy green drink too. Be careful, she will try to poison you with sugar-free goodies.

Jen is a dental hygienist. If you want to know which kind of gum to chew (to xylitol or not to xylitol, this is the question) she'll know.

Lana is full of crap! Literally, her house is full of crap! Yes, just stuff. If you ever need any random thing, pretty sure it's in her house... somewhere. Very competitive, don't coach children's athletics with her.

Adria is straightforward. She pretty much says it like it is. She is our community sex-ed advisor. Any questions, just ask her, she knows it all.

Marianne (one of the tall, leggy blonds) is amazing! She graduated from college while taking care of her four children and working to save the entire Chinese orphan population.

Marilyn is a perfectionist. She has to have everything at a ninety degree angle, if not, she's nervous. Hopefully this doesn't kill her. Likes to scrapbook, spends a large sum of money on this activity.

Stephanie (another tall, leggy blond) really likes to work out. Too much of a good thing is not a good thing. Nursing is her profession (not wet nursing).

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Angels from Heaven Here on Earth

So... where do I start? After announcing the perfect news about Melanie, this news is no fun. I promise I'm not trying to poopy her party.

As most of you have heard, I took Emma to Primary Childrens yesterday 11/21. Dr Graham called me and wanted some more blood from Emma because she had spiked a high fever the night before. The blood showed high levels of white blood cells and so we came to Primary to comfirm Leukemia. After more tests, Leukemia is what she has. It's hard to see her suffer as she's in a lot of pain, but I'm excited to have a plan of attack and know what we are dealing with. She has ALL which is the best kind of Leukemia to get, meaning it responds the best to the treatment.

Basically what the drs are going to do is give her chemotherapy until there are no messed up white blood cells. I asked how long this would take and the standard gold star treatment is 2 1/2-3 years. The time frame on this disease causes me more stress than anything. I have no doubt it will be treated properly and will be cured, it's just disheartening that it takes so long. The doctor (who is quite the little oncologist nerd, who else would I want on my team?) said for the most part, she will still go to school and do normal things.

She will be going in tomorrow for a spinal tap (remember the movie?) and a bone marrow draw. This will determine how aggressive the treatment we will start off with. If it's in her spinal fluid, they will be very aggressive. Her high white cell count puts her at a high level of aggressiveness (is that a word?) already so I don't know if it will be any different. She will receive her first blast of chemo tomorrow.

Also tomorrow, she will get a small disc put under the skin above her chest. This will hold a catheter inside of her that will be used to draw blood and inject chemo. I guess you only see a small buldge under her skin when it's all put in. As far as I know it is metal which will be quite fun because maybe she'll set off metal detector alarms and also she can match Jack and Ashton.

She seems to be in high spirits. She was in a lot of pain this morning, but we busted out the oxycotin and she's been out, I mean totally stoned, hilarious! I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love narcotics.

We will most likely be here for a minimum of another week. The food's not too bad and maybe we'll get something special for Thanksgiving like Cafe Rio (it's just down the street).

A super huge shout out to all who have called and expressed concern. Please, please pray for her to have strength and be about to fight this bastard! (can I use that word in the same sentence as pray?) Also please pray for me to have peace as I am having a real struggle finding any calm in this storm.

I love my angels that are surrounding me and am thankful that they were plucked from heaven to be placed here on earth to help me.

I will write more when I know more.

-Lana

ps. Love flowers, but can't have them in the room as they might carry germs.

Hey, I didn't make the dumb rule. Dont' shoot the messenger.

3 comments:

Ashley Wray said...

Lana, I just heard and am dying to call you, but I'm assuming you're probably pretty busy! Just 36 hours ago we were laughing in my living room and now this. Please know that we are praying for your whole family and if there is ANYTHING at all we can do, please let me know. I'm plannning on being your on call nanny as soon as I get back!
Give Emma a big hug for us and tell her to kick this bastard (I think that is an appropriate term considering the circumstances!) We love you guys!

Kresta said...

Lana, I heard the news from Carrie last night and you guys have been in my thoughts all day. I put Emma's name in the temple and my family will fast for her (and you) tomorrow. I know this won't be easy but you have tons of people that love you and your sweet family. Please let us help! And she will kick this! I'll be by to help you later but for now, know that you and yours are in my every thought and prayer. Love you!

Matt, Roxa, Myles, and Mason said...

Lana my sweet, just wanted to let you know how much we love you all. Give Emma my love and tell her when she gets home and is feeling better I will draw her a BOOK of whatever Pokemon she wants! Also, Myles had the idea today that we needed to make her our special pumpkin cookies and they would make her feel better. So let her know she has some fabulous things to look forward to soon.
I grabbed Cole at church today and said "get over here and give me some sugar" that was my proxy I guess for you and Emma. He just responded like a 12 year old boy would with an old lady squeezing him to death. (Uncomfortable with a "why are you doing this to me in front of people" look)! We'll be in touch, Love Roxa and Crew