Be the change you want to see in the world...

Synopsis of Us

Lisa is au natural. She likes to have babies at home and drink slimy green liquids with large amounts of earth in them. She loves the quacks and we love her. If you are ailing, just call Lisa. She will doctor you up!

Melanie is a little bundle of energy. She's very peppy and always bouncing around. Do not drive with her. She tends to talk and visit and not watch the road. Cuts a mean hair-do!

Sarah is crazy! She loves Diet Pepsi (too much). The group photographer with many free photo shoots for her friends. Many questionable eating habits that we all ignore, hopefully they don't kill her.

Emily is an overachiever. She never sleeps and wakes up way too early so she can pratice music with her kids. She loves the earthy green drink too. Be careful, she will try to poison you with sugar-free goodies.

Jen is a dental hygienist. If you want to know which kind of gum to chew (to xylitol or not to xylitol, this is the question) she'll know.

Lana is full of crap! Literally, her house is full of crap! Yes, just stuff. If you ever need any random thing, pretty sure it's in her house... somewhere. Very competitive, don't coach children's athletics with her.

Adria is straightforward. She pretty much says it like it is. She is our community sex-ed advisor. Any questions, just ask her, she knows it all.

Marianne (one of the tall, leggy blonds) is amazing! She graduated from college while taking care of her four children and working to save the entire Chinese orphan population.

Marilyn is a perfectionist. She has to have everything at a ninety degree angle, if not, she's nervous. Hopefully this doesn't kill her. Likes to scrapbook, spends a large sum of money on this activity.

Stephanie (another tall, leggy blond) really likes to work out. Too much of a good thing is not a good thing. Nursing is her profession (not wet nursing).

Monday, November 24, 2008

Utah is Beautiful but I'd rather be in Idaho

Another day at Primary Childrens. Such nice people, super great doctors and nurses. Really wierd oncologists. What a perfect combination!

Emma had surgery yesterday (Sunday 23) and everything was successful. They did the spinal tap and found no bad cells, but put chemo in the spinal fluid to kill any just in case. The bone marrow draw was full of leukemia and looked very text book for what she has. They also put the catheter port in just below her left breast and it's plastic not metal. I was sad she wouldn't be setting off any metal detector alarms. They put her on narcotics which made her super strange and kind of funny, but also quite bossy and angry.

The port area is in a lot of pain today and she's had a headache, back ache and serious discomfort. Her left hand and both of her feet are super swollen. The hand looks like you took a rubber glove and blew it up like a balloon. It's really cute, but also sad. The swelling should go down soon. I think it's like having a baby. The day you deliver you don't feel as bad as the day after you deliver. I'm hoping tomorrow she's a bit better and stronger.

They gave her her first round of chemotherapy this evening. One has a name that starts with a V, one is a steroid, and the other is called donnarubison (I'm sure I spelled it wrong). I remember this one because I think it sounds like someone's name. Anyway, it's pink and they call it "little red." It makes her pee pink. Princess Pee I call it.

Jeff is catching a ride home tomorrow with Brek & Emily. I will miss him, but am happy he'll be with the boys. I think if I were them I would feel lonely... people talking about their family, knowing their sister has cancer, etc.

It doesn't sound like we'll be home until next Tuesday. Can I last another week?

Thanks for your prayers and encouragement. Pray that the chemo will work because if it does, she should have a full recovery! That's the hope and that's the plan.

-Lana

Ps. Remember how I was getting super buff and physically fit? Well I just climbed up to the fourth floor and I think just possibly I might pass out. Atrophy bites!!

10 comments:

Lisa said...

Did you get rid of the ornery tec? I hope so. Don't get me wrong, everyone else was fantastic, but you know how one bad apple... I'm so glad that Emma has a mom like you. So patient and kind with her, able to joke and also be serious, as in kick some serious hinney if you need to. JK- I'm sure you were very diplomatic in suggesting that perhaps in the future Emma could have a different tec, because I've seen you in action when diplomacy is required, and believe me, I've rarely seen anyone better. You are a master! In fact, I think I would vote you in for President if the elections weren't over, and if you weren't so busy. Maybe the next election. This will all be past you by then. Emma will be well and well all I can say is Lana for President!! Don't just dismiss the idea. We may get a woman in the White House yet. Poor Hillary will be crying her eyes out!

Think about it- Lisa

Emily said...

Man, I can't believe I leave town for one little week and all heck breaks loose!! I feel so helpless and so far away. But I am coming home. It will be a long day of travel as I am longing to be near.

By the way, I definitely agree with Lisa about you in action when diplomacy is required. Hellooooo! Remember Mr. Basketball a couple of weeks ago.

I will see you soon!

Barbara Jackson said...

Lana:

I don't know you, only by the blog, but I live in Orem and would be SO WILLING do do anything for you if needed!!! Please don't hesitate to call (nrjacksonjr@msn.com) (not sure I should put phone number on blog, but will email it to you) if you need something.

Barbara

Kresta said...

Just wanted to let you know that you are in every prayer in our house. I am always thinking of you and sweet Emma and appreciate the updates you post. Hurry home where we can all love you both better.

Jaimee said...

Hey Lana... This is Jaimee Orton. The new girl in the ward :o) I'm sorry to hear about the trial your family is going through. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers and I pray that all goes well for you and your family.

Extraordinary Housewife said...

Lisa, If I could have you guys as my VPs we'd rock this world.

Emily, come home FASTER!

Barbara... sweetest thing I've ever heard. Believe me, I'm milking this. I won't hesistate if I need you.

Keep praying all.

-Lana

Lisa said...

Anyone else notice how Emily is up by 5 A.M. -even on vacation? If we didn't need you here Em- I'd say stay a while longer until you're sleeping in 'till 6. But we NEED you here.

Call in the Calvary!

Call in the reinforcements!

It will be great to have you back Emily. More than I can say.

Lana, prayers are still coming! And Pillings too!

-Lisa

The Brack's said...

Hey Banana's:

You both are so amazing! If anyone could go through this it is you two! Our prayers are with you! I am probably coming to SLC tomorrow if you need ANYTHING, please let me know! I would love to stop by and check on my peeps if that is ok?!

Love ya!

Ashley Wray said...

So glad that everything went well with surgeries, chemo and spinal taps!
Princess pee, Rylee will be so jealous!
Andrew told me the boys were getting lots of hugs and loves at church, but I'm sure they will be happy to have Jeff home for a little while.
Thanks for updating your blog often, I just can't quit thinking about you guys and am checking your blog all the time! I'm anxious to get home to Burley soon so that I can do something for you other than pray my little heart out!
I think Lana for 2012 sounds great! Maybe Sarah Palin will be interested in being your VP!

Forest said...

Hey Lana,

The Ferkins are praying for you and Emma here in California! My heart goes out to you. You can make it. Just make sure to get out of the hospital once a day for a little break. It goes a long way!

Paige